Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Escape from Venezuela

Just a note to let you know how difficult it is becoming to leave Venezuela. When I left, it coincided with the departure of the European flights (and no, I unfortunately did not travel to Europe). Well, all the passengers for Europe, including the Air France 747, all passengers for the Caribbean from that section of the Airport, plus some South American and Miami, had to go through A SINGLE X RAY machine... The line to go through it lasted 1.5 hours........ On the other side I did not even had time to get a drink as I had to board almost immediately. Ah! And I forgot that I had to go first through a 20 minutes line just for the National Gurads to check my passport... Plus half an hour in front of my inefficient ticket counter where the conveyor belt was defective (not the fault of the airline, just ariport maintenance).

Hopes for a quieter return were promptly dashed as I was informed that the brand new belt of the brand new arrival terminal was already breaking down (the circuits) and waits of 2 hours to get your bags were not unheard of...

My passport was checked a total of 5 times.......... In the US they are so happy to see you leave that two passport checks are enough.

So, Venezuela keeps its descent into 4th world status (though sometimes one wonders if in the past we were even third world...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments policy:

1) Comments are moderated after the sixth day of publication. It may take up to a day or two for your note to appear then.

2) Your post will appear if you follow the basic polite rules of discourse. I will be ruthless in erasing, as well as those who replied to any off rule comment.


Followers