Monday, April 06, 2015

Fun Poll result

I took the opportunity of Easter week, traditionally the lowest readership week with the one between Christmas and New Year, to run a poll.

Even though visitors kept at a brisk pace (over 4000 unique visitor a day but I suspect at least half coming from those robot spam visits links that one should never open and that Google normally cleanses but has been remiss lately) I figured out that this week represents more regular readers than usual. Stats repeated historical results. Normally people answering a poll represent no more than 5% of those that actually visit a given page/post that week. This week it was even lower (though I did not advertise the poll, on purpose).  

This is all fine because I was wondering how people feel about posts in Spanish that have become more frequent (and that are slowly but surely receiving more hits). Note: I have the feeling that people did not quite get that it was a multiple choice, but that is OK in the end.

72% say that they are bilingual enough, or not bothered by the bilingual aspect of the blog. So it stays that way.

Only 1% wanted Spanish posts elsewhere. I am sorry for those who do not like my posts in Spanish but there are here to stay. And be happy that I do not start putting some in French!

6% only wanted a Facebook page complement (I used to have one but it was a drag for me and I dropped it). So it will remain dormant.

Nobody had an opinion on Twitter. Clearly what I tweet and what I blog have a different customer base.......

2% says that my blog is drivel but 47% that I am the best, so there is a fan base and there are still chavistas that read this blog. Amusing.  And heartfelt thanks tot hose who put the best even though the intention of the question was clearly a joke :-)

Finally, I suggested the idea of a PayPal box. The reception was less enthusiastic. Only 22% would not question the independence of this blog if there were a Pay Pal box and only 17% would be inclined to chip in something if requested.

Now I am going to get a little bit more on this.  This blog, as you know, has never received a penny from anyone. At most it received a dozen lunch/coffee invitations over a decade.  That is that. No one could have paid me to do what I have done since 2003. There is no money for that. Such a labor of love can come only from, well, love.  You have it in you or you do not. As a matter of fact, I cannot think of any, ANY, chavista blog that can even remotely compare to the opposition blogs that you all know so well. Think about it for a minute.... A mercenary runs for only so long, no matter how much money is involved.

But times have changed, currency here is worthless. Who knows what I may need to write some day, such as paying for a domain outside of Venezuela if blogger is blocked or something.  Clearly making a living from this blog has never been an option, no matter how many advertising box one could put, an even less tasteful prospect than a PayPal box.

So I am confirmed in that my reputation of independence is one of the main values of that blog. Yet if need arises I should be ready to put up a PayPal box so as to pay for a domain, or a trip overseas to attend a conference on human rights. Or something of the kind. Never for personal gain, you can be assured of that. The 78% of you that remained silent can be reassured.


  1. I need to run a poll on something in my blog, but I may not get anybody answer at all. Plus I only have six Twitter followers.

  2. Nous exigeons le francais aussi!

  3. Anonymous4:44 PM

    I'm in for PayPal; personal gain or not. If my choice was chip in for what you do vs you not doing it, I'd happily send some $ your way.
    (Sorry I'm using anon; too many clicks to log in. I know. Lazy. But I'm I'm the bathroom so cut me some slack :)

    1. Example of PayPal use.

      My lap top dies. There are no decent lap tops in Venezuela . What to do? Use paypal to have some one bring me one laptop.

      It does not matter how many bolivares i may have. I could not find now a decent laptop to write the blog.

  4. Daniel, although I would gladly assist your cause you would need to be careful that the gov't did not see you blog as a profitable business or they would feel obligated to seize it to spread the wealth. Lol

  5. I hope your vacation was great. I was concerned that the break was a state sponsored one. Keep up the good work.

  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

  7. Yes to PayPal and Amazon buttons


Comments policy:

1) Comments are moderated after the fourth day of publication. It may take up to a day or two for your note to appear then.

2) Your post will appear if you follow the basic rules. I will be ruthless in erasing, as well as those who replied to any off rule comment.

Do not be repetitive.
Do not bring grudges and fights from other blogs here (this is the strictest rule).
This is an anti Chavez/chavismo blog, Readers have made up their minds long ago. Trying to prove us wrong is considered a troll. Still, you are welcome as a chavista to post if you want to explain us coherently as to why chavismo does this or that. We are still waiting for that to happen.
Insults and put downs are frowned upon and I will be sole judge on whether to publish them.