Sunday, June 11, 2006

Argentina 2 Côte d'Ivoire 1

The match of the day was probably Argentina Ivory Coast but I could only watch a few minutes of it here and there as I was popping in any restaurant that had a large screen TV to see where the game was at. This time around sales of LCD and plasma TV have boomed in Venezuela and it seems that the boom is in part due to many eateries that are trying to attract clients with the best screen available. I like it. Actually, many malls desperate to attract clients have also set up TV in hallways. Meanwhile VTV keeps showing major league games... No comments, football is the one thing that Chavez cannot co-opt, no matter what he tries. Baseball is his thing.

At any rate, the game seems to have been a tough game, judging from this picture (aerial of course, as I like them) where surely at least someone was hurting afterwards.




To end this post, I would like to point out that a colleague blogger of mine with whom I share many of my political views and who I greatly appreciate seems to know less about football than what he pretends to know. His predictions for the day where harshly countered. He should stick to politics :) Of course, I am too much of a coward to dare predict scores the way he does.... :( Though I agree with him in that I was giving Sweden winning. Still I think he grossly understimates the CONCACAF. The great thing about that FIFA system is that small countries with very hungry players bring a lot of interest to the Cup, whereas big countries are victims of some of their players whose legs being worth millions in insurance money are, well, how could I put that nicely, not as "hungry". This is exactly what happened to France and Argentina 4 years ago, tired, listless, riskless teams that got what they deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments policy:

1) Comments are moderated after the sixth day of publication. It may take up to a day or two for your note to appear then.

2) Your post will appear if you follow the basic polite rules of discourse. I will be ruthless in erasing, as well as those who replied to any off rule comment.


Followers