Sunday, May 09, 2004

A quick update on the "Colombian Paramilitary"

Mother days duties mercifully took my mind away from today's news (I am not calling that a scam yet, though I am sorely tempted).

One correction from my previous post. My mother watching TV told me that there was an area where indeed a few people could have been lodged. 100 + grown men? She could not tell. So this will need to be verified. For all that I know it could be filmed elsewhere or simply some boy scout camp grounds. To be monitored.

While I was driving I did listen to Chavez Alo Presidente and he certainly is milking for that is worth. In particular telling the army that all of this is a huge conspiracy to discredit the Army. And then reminding them how nice he is to them, how much money he is giving them.

Right now, after 4 PM, Alo Ciudadano (the Globovision popular talk show of late afternoon): has started examining the story. They are having an easy time of it to debunk the whole thing, when they want to. But they try to keep cool as nobody knows for sure how much of it is for real. After all there might indeed be some conspiracy and Chavez is just "improving it". All is possible in the land of "Realismo Magico". Just one of the comments from El Ciudadano: (55 young men, new uniform, shaved head soldiers, ducking behind bus seats to hide their faces (even in Colombia captured paramilitary do not hide as much), captured. Not a weapon, not a shot, not a commanding officer taken in the 55 (now 64 I think I heard). And by the way, how did they manage to bring that many people from Colombia? This is important as Chavez claims that they have detected more of such "terrorist camps" in Zulia and Apure states..... Just this, if true, tells us how lousy is the National Guard at controlling our borders.

I will write again, but late tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments policy:

1) Comments are moderated after the sixth day of publication. It may take up to a day or two for your note to appear then.

2) Your post will appear if you follow the basic polite rules of discourse. I will be ruthless in erasing, as well as those who replied to any off rule comment.


Followers