Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Liberal comic relief

[updated]
OK, since you like surveys and since it is election year, I found this seven question survey about what type of Liberal you are (assuming of course that you consider yourself to have at least some Liberal leanings). The result is below.

How to Win a Fight With a Conservative is the ultimate survival guide for political arguments

My Liberal Identity:

You are a Reality-Based Intellectualist, also known as the liberal elite. You are a proud member of what’s known as the reality-based community, where science, reason, and non-Jesus-based thought reign supreme.



Now, before any of the more conservative readers gets upset, find a similar fun test about what type of conservative you are and I will post my results.

But seriously now. I had a weird experience this weekend.

I talked to a long time friend in the US, a friend I had not talked to since last year. At some point I asked him, knowing that he supports Obama, to give me a good reason to support him. Now, before I continue, it is important to say that we lived in North Carolina together when Jesse Helms was senator, and from the number of fund raising activities and political civil right rallies we attended together he knows where I stand, without a doubt.

Well, not only he sort of got mad at me (even though I was careful to explain that for once I had not followed a US primary as closely as I used to do, you know, I have a Venezuelan blog to run) but he could not give any real good reason. The only thing he could come up was that Obama was intelligent (agree) and that "everybody I know likes him". OK, he hangs out in a very Liberal crowd but still, were there not Clintonites? When I asked him he told me "I was with Hillary, until Obama came along. With Hillary it would have been the same old crowd" (which, well, it is hard to disagree with).

"everybody I know likes him"?

Now, I am not at all writing this to start a debate on Obama versus McCain, not at all (and any comment on that respect will be erased without contemplation). No, what I felt was a very discomforting deja vu experience: we hate something so much that anything that will remove it form office is welcome. I had bad flashbacks to 1998. True, Venezuela in 1998 cannot be compared by any measure with the US. But popular effects do have a way to cross political cultures. I had the misfortune to try to convey that idea and as you may expect the conversation started turning worse so I quickly shifted to other safer topics such as who he was dating these days.

However there was something that came out clear to me: over the past 8 years of Chavez obsession I think I have missed how deeply the US has changed, and in particular its Liberal component (I do not know enough conservatives to see how they have changed themselves, but I think it is safe to assume that a change also has taken place there). I am disappointed in myself that I had to wait for so long to take the measure of it (not to mention that I should keep closer contact with my friends). But I also understood better how my friends in the US think I have changed myself (after all US problems for me are not as crucial as they use to be). Chavez or a never ending war have ways to modify national psyches that we are just starting to realize.

However in my defense, in 1998 I knew that Chavez was going to be a disaster before the first vote was cast. Every day since I have been proved right.

No matter what a fraud Obama might end up to be, within two years the US public will be able to take from him either the House or the Senate, just as it happened with Bill Clinton (which I disliked before he was elected as I was for Tsongas). I suppose that in the US it is now essential that the president, whichever party seats at the White house, has either the Senate or the House against. Had Bush lost the Senate earlier things might be quite different today.

Update:A promise is a promise. I was sent the mirror link and there is the resutl. Hat tip Doug.

How to Win a Fight With a Liberal is the ultimate survival guide for political arguments

My Conservative Identity:

You are a Freedom Crusader, also known as a neoconservative. You believe in taking the fight directly to the enemy, whether it’s terrorists abroad or the liberal terrorist appeasers at home who give them aid and comfort.

Take the quiz at www.FightLiberals.com


What people would do to sell their books!!!!

-The end-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments policy:

1) Comments are moderated after the sixth day of publication. It may take up to a day or two for your note to appear then.

2) Your post will appear if you follow the basic polite rules of discourse. I will be ruthless in erasing, as well as those who replied to any off rule comment.


Followers